Monday, January 18, 2010

Shock Shock Shock

The Golden Globes--can they be taken seriously? I'm not so sure. They nominate films that have yet to be released (sometimes not even completed), and then force people to vote whether they've seen the films or not. It's truly a media machine (the Hollywood Foreign Press, after all) and I knew that already so why am I even ruminating on it. Anyway, the wins and loses fell into two categories: "we already knew that," and "what the cuss?" Here's a list of the winners and how I fared. Am I now better equipped for the Oscars or am I now more confused than ever?

Best Original Song--"The Weary Kind," Crazy Heart

I saw this coming from a mile away. It's an incredible piece of music.

Best Original Score--Michael Giacchino, UP

Again, not at all surprised. This is one of the most beautiful scores ever written. Fun when necessary, also heartbreaking at times.

Best Screenplay--Jason Reitman, Up in the Air

Well-deserved. His characters were real, the material current and poignant, and his dialogue was inspired.

Best Director--James Cameron, Avatar

What the cuss? Seriously, genuinely shocked. Not disappointed, by a long shot, but shocked. I expected Kathryn Bigelow, maybe even Jason Reitman...but James Cameron. Does this pit him head to head against his ex-wife, Kathryn Bigelow? Is Reitman out of the race? So confused!!!

Best Foreign Language Film--The White Ribbon, Austria

I was sure 'A Prophet' would win, but 'The White Ribbon' was definitely a sister choice, so I am not at all surprised. Both were masterpieces and deserve every accolade garnered.

Best Animated Feature--UP, Pixar

The Fantastic Mr Fox didn't stand a chance. Pixar reigns supreme.

Best Supporting Actor--Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds

No shock there. He will win the Oscar.

Best Supporting Actress--Mo'Nique, Precious

Again, not a shock. She will win the Oscar.

Best Actor, Musical or Comedy--Robert Downey Jr, Sherlock Holmes

Really? I was dead wrong. I need to sit down and watch this movie now. He still has no chance at an Oscar.

Best Actress, Musical or Comedy--Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

I knew she'd win this even before she was nominated. She will definitely be one of the actresses to beat at the Oscars.

Best Musical or Comedy--The Hangover

(500)Days of Summer deserved it, but I knew The Hangover would win it. Very funny film that is also overrated. But does it have a chance at a Best Picture nod now? Possibly. Wow.

Best Actor, Drama--Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

At first I thought it'd be Clooney, but I am glad I changed my mind. Jeff Bridges will win the Oscar.

Best Actress, Drama--Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

I love her, loved her performance, but really? Did no one see An Education? Did no one see Precious? I am severely confused. Sandra Bullock is now officially a shoe-in for the Oscar and, God love her, she doesn't deserve it. But congrats.

Best Picture, Drama--Avatar

How did it pull that off? I am still super shocked about this win. I would have sworn the Hurt Locker had this in the bag, if not Up in the Air. So much for "Dances with Smurfs" or "Pocaferngully." Take that haters! Now a major contender for the Oscar, will it actually win? Now I'm excited.

So there you have it, ya'll. The winners, whether they deserve it or not. All I know is now I am very excited for the Oscars. It looks like this year the awards are going to spread the love. No more of this Slumdog wins everything crap. I didn't follow the TV awards too closely, but I have to say I am beyond pleased that Toni Collette, Chloe Sevigny, and Glee all won honors. They are all well-deserved. Suck on THAT, Tina Fey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment