Monday, December 7, 2009

I Miss the 90's (The Early 90's)

It sounds odd. I know. Who could miss dingy flannel, step-cuts, and British Knights? Me. Sorta. I miss the things that comforted me as a young person. Doc martens, beaten to hell after having my parents wait in line for hours to pay over $100 for a pair. Pre-Emo teen angst. Rock with a purpose. Pop with a heart. Icon's like Madonna, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, My Bloody Valentine. Shit, even Salt-n-Pepa. Spinderella cut it up one time. Looking back at middle school, high school, my early adulthood...there was bliss. There were hardships. Times we as young, hormonal people can't see the end of (like climbing a dome, revolution after revolution, with no end...). I find the world so changed. We are days away from 2010 and I miss the 90's more than ever. There was a darkness about that time. An enveloping darkness that at once caused fear in my heart and resulted in a sense of home. These days people are obsessed with fame. Popular culture has evolved away from the Andy Warhol "everyday but overlooked" and become the golden ring that all dream of attaining. Everyone wants to be known. Everyone seeks fame. Celebrity is available to anyone. Has post-modernism killed "special"? Is the internet the culprit? Remember when MTV still showed music videos? Remember when TRL killed it? It all happened in the 90's. Here are two songs (and a TV show trailer) that came to mind today. No reason. No grand purpose. Just because...they remind me.

REM - Everybody Hurts: This video defined my early teen years. Dealing with obesity, depression, and fear of being outed this song gave me peace. Bjork - Possibly Maybe: This takes me back to my sophomore year. Bjork was and always will be a goddess in my eyes. She will be imitated (Imogen Heap, Lady Gaga) but never duplicated. My So-Called Life: If you are a child of the 90's and didn't have an emotional connection to this show (and didn't cry and want to boycott ABC for canceling it after one season), then we will probably never understand each other.

1 comment:

  1. Oscar. You are one of the best things I can remember from the 90s. I just turned 30 yesterday; and I don't think that's old but I sometimes I wish I could do my teens over again. I would allow myself to be young. Anyway, I hope you're doing well. Would love to see you soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete